Changing an existing school infrastructure that is not used to make a guest house.
About the Implementing organization
Name: Heuningvlei Community Trust of South Africa
Country: South Africa
Year of establishment: 2007
Type of organization: Community-based association or organization / Legally recognized non-profit status / Community enterprise or business / Cooperative business / Indigenous group or organization
In most communities goverment structures stay as white elephants, unused and a waste to the communities. These buildings become sites where crime is practiced. Also in the building of new infrastructure builders normally source the material from far distances degrading the environment further reducing the money that could have been spent on the project.
In the case of Heuningvlei tourism initiative the locals chose the school site so that:
1.there is no clearing on vegetation.
2. schools usable material can be used
3. optimizing the amount of money used in the project.
This is business unusual which should be encouraged to conserve scarce resources.
Forests / Mountains / Wetlands / Rivers / Grasslands / Wildlife
Type of Action
Restoration / Sustainable use / Access and benefit sharing
Sustainable Development Element
Jobs and livelihoods / Food security
The tourism initiative provides income to communities which is then used to buy food in an area that was hunting. This has changed hugely, hunting is reduced and there is food.
The tourism as an alternative is environmentally friendly considering the this area is biodiversity sensitive, the impact is that even after 10 year of tourism operation the area is intact and allows for conservation to thrive.
Sustainable Development Impacts
Sustainable development themes identified which the project have demonstrated are:
1. Reduced poverty in all its forms.
2. End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture
3. Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages
4. Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls
8. Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all
9. Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation
Tourism development in this town can be scaled up to create a linking routed between these areas. There are lots of cultural artifacts that can be sold, these are getting lost because traditionally the market access was challenges thus there is a need to revive the culture to attract more tourist in an effort to benefit more locals.
Isolated rural areas can make sustainable livelihoods and prevent urbanization. Tourism development remains a solution especially to South African context where cultures are diverse and landscape is different.
Share this solution: